HiveOS Network Operating System
All Aerohive devices support the feature-rich HiveOS Cooperative Control architecture. HiveOS enables Aerohive devices to organize into groups, or “hives,” which allows functionality like fast roaming, user-based access control and fully stateful firewall policies, as well as additional security and RF networking features - all without the need for a centralized or dedicated controller. HiveOS has two primary feature sets - Wi-Fi Features and Routing Features.
HiveOS Wi-Fi Features:
HiveOS Wi-Fi features provide a host of leading wireless network features, including SLA compliance, airtime management and built-in spectrum analysis, all without a controller.
- All network operations supported without a controller
- Lower cost, higher performance
- Radio Resource Management for automatic channel selection and power control
- Auto-discovery and configuration of Aerohive Access Points
- Fast and secure L2 and L3 roaming
- Foundation for resilient and highly available WLAN services
Full capabilities on every Access Point:
HiveOS includes enterprise-class features, delivered without licensing cost and hassle, on every access point:
- Secure fast roaming (L2 and L3)
- Radio resource management
- Band steering and load balancing for high-density network deployments
- Stateful firewall with application layer gateways (ALGs)
- Web server for guest access – Captive Web Portal
- Flexible interaction with user databases: RADIUS server, RADIUS Caching, native directory integration, and SIP2 databases for libraries
- Full QoS
- Spectrum Analysis
- Rogue detection and mitigation
Client Health Score:
- At-a-glance display of the quality of client connections
- Includes easy-to-understand icons that enable a quick view of radio, IP network, and application status
Service Level Assurance:
- Performance Sentinel built into every AP enables real-time tracking of performance per user, or per application
- System can be enabled to automatically take action to boost performance of mission-critical applications
Dynamic Airtime Scheduling:
- Improves performance in mixed networks by providing preferential access to the fastest client devices
- Gets fastest clients off the air quickly, to enable superior performance in a mixed a/b/g/n client environment
- Generates easy-to-deploy, one-time security keys for guest or intermittent use
HiveOS Routing Features:
HiveOS Routing features enables Aerohive branch routers to deliver all the remote office network functionality that teleworkers and branch offices need in a zero-touch deployment model, including full Layer 3 IPSec VPN tunnels, 802.11n functionality, patent-pending Cloud Proxy security services and granular Network Flow-based firewall capabilities.
Layer 3 IPSec VPN:
- Remote users can connect all authenticated devices with corporate resources
- No need to install IPSec or SSL VPN software on client devices
- Complete security comes from local intelligence, cloud security services and mobile device management
- Ensures security of branch office communications without the need for security appliances at each site
- Eliminate web proxy information on every end user device.
- Greatly reduces bandwidth costs
- Eliminates the need to route traffic back to central location for filtering
Network Flow-based Stateful Firewall:
- Enforces policy at the network level
- Combines user identity and mobile device management, so access is based identity and device type.
- One year subscription enables flexible deployment of branch routers without CAPEX
HiveOS Switching Features:
HiveOS Switching delivers enterprise-class switching functionality combined with identity-based routing, security features like 802.1X, and contextual policy enforcement.
Unified Control and Policy:
- Easy and intuitive to create and deploy unified wired and wireless access policies across the entire network
- HiveOS Cooperative Control protocols ensure all devices securely share policy information across the entire network, including 802.1X security policies.
- Zero-touch provisioning avoids the need for pre-configuration and costly truck rolls
- The switches will automatically download updated firmware and policy configuration information and immediately provide service to connected devices, without any need for administrator intervention.
Enterprise-Class Cloud-Enabled Switching:
- HiveOS supports advanced switching functionality like user-based QoS, storm control, and 802.1X multiple authentication for voice and data coexistence, along with traditional switch features such as LLDP, Spanning Tree, Jumbo Frames, and IGMP snooping.
Integrated Branch Routing:
- Includes features such as stateful firewall, IPsec VPN, identity-based routing, and Cloud Proxy
- Manage traffic via a combination of user identity and very granular mobile device management to provide a mobility-optimized access solution
Download the Aerohive HiveOS 5.1 Network Operating System Routing Features (.PDF)
Download the Aerohive HiveOS 5.1 Network Operating System Wi-Fi Features (.PDF)
Download the Aerohive HiveOS 6.0 Network Operation System Switching Features (.PDF)